Skip to main content

Pretty Good Hat

Tag: destiny

Two windows from the RStudio profvis tool, showing the times of several procesess. The second window shows the same process being completed dramatically more quickly than the first.

I used the RStudio tool profvis this weekend to find speed improvement opportunities in Armorer. I suspected that I could rewrite a big operation that calculates the maximum of many columns across several thousand rows. Holy smokes: Using matrixStats::rowMaxs cuts processing time by an amazing amount!

Screenshot of a web application showing two items selected from a form field. They are circled in bright purple marker with an arrow pointing to them to draw the eye.

I finished a big update to Armorer this week, to enable inclusion of subclass fragments in stat calculations. I learned a ton with this release and laid good groundwork for additional mod management. I’m pretty pleased!

Super-pleased to see that a couple of small Shiny app improvements I made this weekend correctly picked up on some source data changes today and automatically handled them. Pretty cool!

🎮 I got to spend a few hours this weekend laying siege to the new dungeon that was released in Destiny 2 on Friday. Today, my team and I finished it! It’s the first time I’ve been able to play new, hard content at release and without any prior knowledge of it – and to actually complete it! I’m really happy that I got to do it, and I really enjoyed the time with my team to figure it all out together and successfully make our way through it.

Screenshot displaying rows of armor items and their stat values

Screenshot showing a scatterplot of stat values for a selected armor configuration

I’ve had a nice afternoon working on my hobby R/Shiny project, a loadout finder for the game Destiny 2. These improvements make it a lot more flexible and informative: It can now optionally include armor that would otherwise be filtered out of configurations by the minimum stat threshold, and it will show current mods used in displayed loadouts.

ArmoreR: A Destiny 2 Loadout Finder

Since I’m talking Destiny projects lately, here’s a another open invite to Destiny-curious micro.friends who may want to try it out! The new expansion is very good and it’s a great time to jump in. Happy to be a space magic shooty guide to anybody who needs a friendly way into the game!

A screenshot showing armor statistics for loadouts in Destiny 2

This revision of ArmoreR is really turning into something I’m happy with and proud of. I’ve learned so much since the very first iteration of this about a year ago. It’s really fun and rewarding to come back to it with a bunch of new expertise and make it much better in all ways, including a new approach to dealing with such a large amount of information.

screenshot showing a set of colorful scatterplots displaying a variety of armor types and their stats

I spent a bunch of the weekend beginning a redesign of my ArmoreR project, which aims to be a Destiny 2 armor stats profiler built in R and Shiny. A year on from when I began it, I have a much better understanding of how a Shiny app works, and have also incorporated a proper, working oauth2 workflow into this revision (incorporating the things I figured out for my power level tracker). It’s really, really satisfying to be rebuilding it with all the things I’ve learned. I think the application is going to be so much better and less complicated than the first iteration. I still have a ways to go, and am happy with just how much I have transformed it with a year of learning and practice on other things.